Thursday, September 16, 2010

Ethical, Logical and Emotional Appeals of Public Space

The free writes and class discussions about logos, ethos and pathos have really got me thinking about how to approach my public space for observation. At the beginning of the assignment I thought I would go to the space look around, observe the people and then start guessing why the people are attracted to the space and how the space tries to attract them. Then as I became more acquainted with ethos the question arose, what makes people even travel to this space to begin with? Ethos establishes credibility and because my public space is a retail store what distinguishes this space from other major retail stores? So a little research about this space could give some reasons for this space is sought out by millions of customers annually.

The logos argument this space makes should be an interesting one. Because this is an upscale department store you can expect higher prices. I want to see what makes these higher prices still attractive to customers of the space and the logical approach taken to justify this. Maybe some sort of advertisement will show some sort of connection between the two.

Pathos is something I am not sure how I will see once I go to the space. I feel like a trip to the space would be the best if not the only way to see the pathos argument of a space. You have to go to the space to see and feel the emotions given off by the decorations of the store, employees, fixtures etc. I feel this will be my most difficult argument to find but utilizing the five senses exercise we did in class I feel will help tremendously.

This paper will definitely be a fun and exciting challenge and I am anxious to see how all the elements blend together.

1 comment:

  1. Nieman Marcus will be a very intersting place to observe. It will be intersting to see what kinds of people go into the store and how they present themselves especially because of how upscale the store it. It will also be intersting to see how the store compares to cheaper stores.

    ReplyDelete